Wednesday 30 July 2008

Salutation to the Dawn

I was given a copy of this poem for my birthday and I just love it. I did consider heading down to Dickey Beach at dawn to get a photo to go with this post but it's a rare day that sees me out of bed that early, especially in winter (the exceptions being to climb a mountain or if I'm getting paid).


LISTEN to the exhortation of the Dawn!
Look to this Day! For it is Life, The very Life of Life.
In its brief course lie all the Verities And Realities of your Existence;
The Bliss of Growth,
The Glory of Action,
The Splendour of Beauty;
For Yesterday is but a Dream,
And Tomorrow is only a Vision;
But Today well lived Makes every Yesterday a Dream of Happiness,
And every Tomorrow a Vision of Hope.
Look well therefore to this Day!
Such is the Salutation of the Dawn.

Kalidasa (Indian dramatist)


No comments:

Post a Comment